illburn-Short Hills is actually one township and two areas or zip codes. Millburn and Short Hills are rich in history, culture and physical beauty.
While prestigious Short Hills is part of Millburn, the communities carry distinct identities. Together they are well known for their quick New York City commute and their excellent school system. It is one of the best in the nation. Individually, Millburn is a comfortable suburb, while Short Hills’ reputation is one of privilege and extraordinary homes.
Education has always been high on the priority for residents of the township. Millburn and Short Hills share a common school system, which is one of the finest in the county. Millburn High School, Millburn Middle School, Deerfield Elementary, Glenwood Elementary, Hartshorn Elementary, South Mountain Elementary. The phone number for the Millburn-Short Hills Public School system is 973-376-3600.
If you are visiting for more than a day, you can stay at the town's five-star Hilton Hotel with world-class spa or the nearby local hotel Grand Summit Hotel (908-273-3000). And for sure you will want to cap off your visit with some time allotted to shopping at the upscale Short Hills Mall. And besides The Mall there is a very cute downtown shopping center of Millburn-Short Hills with plenty of stores, fine restaurants and a popular local movie theater.
New Jersey Transit runs through both Millburn and Short Hills and gets you to NYC in about 30-35 minutes. For work, theatre or shopping, it is a quick commute to New York City on either the express or local trains.
The Short Hills section of town was one of the first planned commuter suburbs in America. Stewart Hartshorn, inventor of the roller window shade, developed the Short Hills Park district and reportedly supervised its design and construction, including the sixty Shingle Style and Queen Anne homes originally built.
Today, Millburn-Short Hills has approximately 7,000 homes and 20 apartment buildings. Fortunately, these towns are also endowed with enormous amounts of open space. Part of the South Mountain Reservation lies within Millburn, as do numerous municipal parks, a three hole golf course, the Cora Hartshorn arboretum and three bodies of water.
We have lived in Millburn-Short Hills for over 30 years. Below are links to the different towns we represent the most: Millburn, Short Hills, Essex Fells, Livingston, Chatham, Summit, Montclair, Madison.
NJ real estate in Millburn, Short Hills, Essex Fells, Livingston Chatham Summit, Montclair, Madison, Maplewood
About Mike & Claudia
ike and his wife Claudia are full time licensed New Jersey real estate professionals.
Mike & Claudia specialize in real estate in Essex, Morris and Union Counties.
They know the area in detail and love showing and sharing homes with clients.
Mike was in the Ambassador's Club in 2004 and 2005, the Weichert sales and marketing club and the NJAR Circle of Excellence.
Before entering the real estate industry, Mike had a great deal of experience in the construction industry working with builders, contractors and architects. He also has special expertise in remodeling and new construction.
During many of these years Mike was Sales Manager, Consultant, Director of Customer Relations for major national building products manufacturers.
On a personal basis, Mike grew up in New Jersey and attended colleges in Minnesota and Philadelphia.
Mike and his real estate partner Claudia are the parents of two grown sons who both graduated from Millburn High School.
Mike & Claudia have been residents of Millburn/Short Hills for over 30 years.
Claudia and her husband Mike are full time licensed New Jersey real estate professionals.
Claudia & Mike specialize in real estate in Essex, Morris and Union Counties. They know the area in detail and love showing and sharing homes with clients.
Before entering the real estate industry, Claudia was the owner of telecommunications company and prior to that she was the manager of a successful home sold products business.
On a personal basis, Claudia grew up in NYC and received a BA from George Washington University and an MA from Hunter College in Speech Pathology and Audiology (she began her career as a special education teacher).
Claudia and her real estate partner are the parents of two grown sons who both graduated from Millburn High School.
Claudia & Mike have been residents of Millburn/Short Hills for over 30 years.
Claudia is a Member of the Board - Millburn/Short Hills Chamber of Commerce.
Tips for Buyers
ere are some helpful tips if you are buying a home in Millburn, Short Hills, Essex Fells, Livingston, Chatham, Summit, Montclair, Madison.
- Find out your credit score by checking with any or all of the three credit reporting agencies: Equifax, TransUnion and Experian.
- If going to be going for a new mortgage remember it is important to have paid all your bills on time especially your mortgage payments as late payments can effect your credit score.
- Be careful if getting lending services from a website vs. a local mortgage company or bank. Internet mortgage companies will give you several lending services to choose from but because the lenders charge different fees it can be hard to tell the real differences online.
- Ask your loan officer if you as a homebuyer have to pay private mortgage insurance if you put down less than 20 percent as a down payment. Some lenders charge for private mortgage insurance and some do not.
- Be sure to carefully inspect the good faith estimate of closing costs provided by the lender. Also remember that title insurance and legal fees have to be figured in too.
- Decide whether it is better to pay points to get a lower interest rate on your mortgage. Your real estate attorney can help you with this calculation.
- Be sure to hire a local home inspection service to check the home before the final closing. Sometimes your realtor can provide you with a local service but it is also easy to find this service in your local yellow pages.
- Do your own research on real estate values in your area. Here are some sites that sellers and buyers can both utilize:
ere are a few suggestions to consider when selling your home.
- Look for an agent or sales representative that works for a full service agency unless you are going to do a lot of the marketing yourself.
- Make sure your agent has at least five years of experience and an up to date license with the state.
- A good real estate agent/broker will give you a full marketing and advertising plan for your home. This plan can include holding open houses, brochures, newspaper advertising, local magazines, website and online advertising.
- Ask what kind of negotiating training or experience your broker to be has.
- Ask for references and try to make sure they are all fairly recent.
- Be sure that the agency and agent you go with is a Multiple Listing Service agency. This way all other agents can see and show your home to their clients based on what they see on the database.
- Do your own research on real estate values in your area. Here are some sites that sellers and buyers can both utilize.
Below is a list of the pages in this Web site, where you will find helpful information, whether you are buying or selling a home in Millburn, Short Hills, Essex Fells, Livingston, Chatham, Summit, Montclair, Madison.